High Speed Sync Water Splash Photography

After a couple of years drooling over High Speed Sync and watching the rich elitist with their all swinging all dancing all bells, all whistles mega dollar flash equipment from the major brands of high end flash equipment, I can, as an amateur on a budget now, finally, at last, have a taster of what its like to have this sort of power in my arsenal, a power I once only dreamed of, a power that has now made me feel like a villain out of a James Bond movie where I'm about to take over the world muhahahaha.

I purchased a Godox Xpro trigger and a Godox TT600 flashgun, then my wife bought me 2 more Godox TT600 flashguns for my birthday and all of these bad boys are capable of high speed sync up to 1/8000 sec.

To think all together, a trigger and 3 flashguns for a grand total of  £228 squids which is still cheaper than a single branded flashgun from certain manufacturers which is totally crazy.
Before I move on I have to thank Yongnuo ,another cheap brand of flashgun manufacturer which allowed me on the cheap to operate multiple off camera flashguns from the safety of my cameras hotshoe and the only reason I have left them behind is that Godox has allowed me access to HSS on the cheap.
I own the Yonguo rf602 trigger, 560 trigger and the 560II, 560III and 560IV flashguns which sit in my mighty thinktank airport roller bag just in case I ever need to call on their assistance again.


So to the future, first thing is first I needed to test my new Godox family to see if High Speed Sync actually worked, ( Below is video of me testing everything) or click here Click Me

I tested everything in my back garden on a bright sunny day with direct sunlight hitting the object I was photographing and to push the boundaries I added water splash or in this case, fresh orange juice splash to add some colour and to match the beauty product I was photographing.
Normally photographers use HSS for wide open portraiture on a sunny day so they can blow out the backgrounds but with my test I wanted to take it up a notch with water splash, which I had to do when it gets dark so I can use a long exposure and capture  the water droplets using rear curtain sync and firing the flash in a pitch black room, this means I can't see what's going on and its pure luck when to press the shutter.
Now I have the power to do this type of photography during the day, proven by my new YouTube video.
One thing I learned from my test is the flashguns I have where limited by their power which once again comes down to money, if you want more power you have to pay more dollar, but now I have stepped into the basic realm of Godox I can upgrade anytime I want and the new gear will work with the new Godox Xpro trigger. Xpro Unboxing video
Thanks to cheriglowcosmetics who allowed me to use their product for the test and in my video, check them out on the link provided.
In my video below I show you my quick set up for the test and me editing the pictures in Photoshop,  so make sure you check that out as well.
I have to say I'm in love with High Speed Sync and if you love off camera flash and want to try HSS this is a great entry level set up and I highly recommend it.




Make sure you check out my links and give me a follow as well, its all free so no excuses and feel free to leave a comment or ask questions about my video or my photography.
I would be very grateful if you could share any of my videos or blogs on your social media, you have the power to help my channels grow, Thanks :-)

Don't forget to follow me on twitter Click Me
Check out my Flickr stream Click Me
My YouTube channel Click Me
My 500px Click Me

My Instagram Click Me
My Facebook Click Me 

Comments