Garden and Floral Photography Competition

I came second place in a floral photography competition which celebrates the 100th year of the Chelsea Flower show.
The competition was held on the Photography Monthlys website which I like to visit quite often.

Here is the winning picture

We Are Listening

I took this in my mum's back garden of what I believe to be an African Daisy.
I used my Nikon D300s and Sigma 105mm macro to try and capture as much detail as possible but utilizing a shallow dof to blow the background out of focus.
The very shallow dof has created a nice artistic quality but keeping detail and quality where needed on that beautiful blue center.
I called this shot 'We Are Listening' due to the outer petals looking like little individual ears and with that wonderful pinkish colour.
To capture as much detail as possible I had my Nikon D300s on my 055xprob Manfrotto tripod and Manfrotto 496 RC2 ball head, firing the shutter using mirror lock up and my cable release.

Here is a link to the picture on Flickr
African Daisy

Below is a link to the competition results.
Winners announced


As you can see my picture is the second one down and has won me a Hama DCC System Base Wireless Remote Release, a Lastolite 30cm reflector, the book Wild Flowers by Sarah Raven and goodies from Homebase.
I love getting new things and can't wait for my goodies to arrive.
Well done to the winner who has won a new Sigma macro lens and well done to third place who has won a few goodies with a very thought provoking and creative shot.

Check out the links provided and let me know if you like my winning picture.
Feel free to leave a comment or follow me on my Blog, Twitter or Flickr.

Comments